Sunday, August 5, 2012

to be served

Friday, August 3rd would have been my sister Carrisa's 27th birthday, last year we did this to celebrate and remember her.  I wanted to keep a sort of tradition, you know, do something special on her birthday every year, maybe serve someone else and definitely have some cupcakes!

Well, wouldn't you know that plans didn't turn out as expected.....b/c I spent all day on Friday like this....
IMG_1932

You would think I would be totally used to not having things go how I planned or expected them, wouldn't you?  I mean it's not like my whole life hasn't been what I planned it to be or anything.

But none the less, I was very sick and so was Maya. 
IMG_1937

I had planned a special day to remember Carrisa, cupcakes of course, and doing something completely outside of my comfort zone that took a lot of courage to even plan and organize.  Realizing that this was not going to happen escalated my already emotional day. I shed many tears.

 Brett had planned a boys camping trip, and I urged him to go insisting that I would be fine, because I can usually shake these sicknesses off pretty quick, and I really wasn't wanting to ruin any other plans.  He left, very reluctantly asking me over and over if it was ok that he go, and I basically made him leave. Besides it was almost the girls nap time and I was sure I would feel better after we all got a little rest.

I was wrong.  I got worse, way worse, and so did Maya.  I was unable to get out of bed or move unless it was to the toilet. Brett was gone, and I desperately needed help with the girls.  My sweet friend Lindsey, who is pregnant and on bed rest herself, called to see how she could help.  She offered dinner, or picking up Norah & Sarah, just whatever she could do.  Then my friend Heather called, offering to come over, cook dinner, just anything I needed.  Then our babysitter Mallorie said she would come over, she knows the girls so well, she knows their routine, when they eat, when they go to bed, everything!! Mallorie is simply, amazing.

Let me tell you that it was not easy for me to ask or allow for help.  I am supposed to be a strong woman, and do it myself.  I really had to let go of my self pride and let people step in.

I had Mallorie come over, since she had been over the day before I figured she may have already been exposed to the germs so she was the safest bet.

Our friends Chris and Lindsay brought us dinner and 3 of these

IMG_1936

more tears

not that I could even think about eating it.  It was that someone who didn't even know my sister would care or even think to somehow make my day feel special by bringing me this

 Suddenly on the day I was suppose to serve someone else, I was being served.......

I realized that maybe what God had intended is that I be served on Carrisa's birthday, because Carrisa wanted me to be, somehow she is still able to serve all the way from heaven :O)

It was just such a wonderful reminder of my great friends, who care and want to help and that I am not in this alone.

Brett came home early Saturday morning since Maya & I continued to play throw up tag and he served me all weekend, doing everything for me and for the girls.

and I am finally on the mend

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that it didn't go as planned. And to be so sick is awful. I'm so sorry. I'm so glad you're on the mend though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad u have people who love and care for you. I know Carissa was looking down from heaven, knowing your heart, and making sure you were being taken care of.

    Hope you are feeling 100% by now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, it always makes my day!